In last week’s buyer personas post, I briefly touched on why conducting a buyer persona interview is important. Many of you showed interest in this topic, specifically what questions to ask in your buyer persona interview. Below I have shared what I have found to be the best questions to ask in a buyer persona interview to help build a highly targeted indie game. Hope these questions give you some ideas on guidance on how to design your own set of buyer persona interview questions.
9 Questions to Ask in Your Buyer Persona Interview
Every question you ask in your buyer persona interview should have one purpose: to glean information that will help tailor your game or marketing strategy to fit your target audience’s needs and behaviors. As you draft your buyer persona interview questions, be sure to keep this in mind. With that said, here is a list of nine questions I have found valuable to ask. Please note that based on your game’s genre, platform, etc., you will probably want to add, subtract or modify these questions.
- What games are you playing/have you played on [INSERT DEVICE YOU INTEND TO PUBLISH TO]?
- How did you learn about these games?
- Why did you decide to buy/try these games? (FYI: the answer to #2 may be the answer here)
- Why do you enjoy playing these games?
- How many times per week do you play these games and how long does each playing sessions last?
- What days and at what time(s) during those days do you play these games?
- Where do you play these games?
- If you spend/have spent money on these games, what was it for and how often do you make/have you made similar purchases and what is the average amount you spend?
- What are your biggest frustrations with these games, i.e., what about these games annoys you to the point you may or have stopped playing?